Tuesday 5 February 2013

Outdoor Constructed Textiles


This work is by Hannah Streefkerk, I came across her on the 62 group website and find her outdoor installation work incredible.

"Hannah reduces the natural environment to patterns, rhythms, forms and structures."



I like this work for similar reasons as to why I liked the 'stitched ceramics' which I previously posted. I like how stitching (something perceived as delicate and associated with fabric) can be transferred into a completely different environment. The stitching into the trees is extremely interesting and it makes you question how it is achieved. I would be wanting to go up to the work and to see exactly how it was created. The large scale construction brings textiles and nature together making them appear blended, like they are supposed to be together. 
Hannah's knitted or crocheted rocks and stones are also very interesting to look at, from far away they would look like natural stones but it's not until you get closer you realise they are textile constructed objects.
Hannah's work has a very 'blending' finish to it, the work blends in with the environment it was created for. This is something I will look at with my samples, thinking more about the finish of them and where I would like them to be seen and therefore how this would effect the finish. Again, the work makes me think more about materials and how I could think outside the box in order to create something quite unique and individual.

Image and text reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment